Overview of FSSAI food service license in India & Delhi
FSSAI license is one of the most demanded license in the food industry. Whether food manufacturing , food trading, food retail, food service or agencies for government. A FSSAI license is the go to step to start off the business.
First of, there are two mandatory types in FSSAI.
1. FSSAI License
2. FSSAI Registration
So, what is license and registration?
Registration also called as pre-license which means when a business falls under FSSAI and has not turned over sales of Rs.12 lacs/year then registration will suffice to start off the business. Its a way to go relief for any food business operator. However, this vary accordingly in some cases such as if business operates out of current state then it may be required to take license but this exemption can be advised by advocates but in general a license is required when there is a turn over of Rs.12 lacs/year.
Types of FSSAI license/Registration for food service
- Petty Retailer of snacks/tea shops – Temporary or fixed stall or food premise involved in preperation, storage, distibution and sale of food products that can be served as a snacks/ tea/coffee and similar variants.
- Hawker (Itinerant / Mobile food vendor) – Selling packaged or freshly prepared food by travelling (usually on foot or movable carts) from one location to other.
- Restaurants – Restaurant is a type of food service operation which prepares, serves food and drinks to customers in exchange for money. Meals are generally served and eaten on the premises, but many restaurants also offer take-out and food delivery services, and some offer only take-out and delivery.
- Food Vending Establishment
- Dhaba: Food service establishment generally located near roadside/highway involved in processing, storing, packaging and selling of food to customers for consumption.
- Boarding Houses Serving Food: A building providing food and lodging for paying guest.
- Banquet Halls with food catering arrangements: A specified area such as hall which is used for the purpose of hosting parties/ceremonies involved in prepration and serving of food to customers for consumption.
- Home Based Canteens/ Dabba Wallas: An inividual or establishment involved in distribution of packed meals (usually packed lunch) from food service establishments such as home based caterer or restaurants to customers.
- Permanent/ Temporary Stall Holder: A stand/booth/compartment/small covered area being used for preparation and /or sale of freshly prepraed or packaged food for consumption. This structure maybe temporary or permanent (fixed).
- Food stalls/ Arrangements in religious gatherings/ fairs etc: A stand/booth/compartment/small covered area being used for preperation and /or sale or distribution of of freshly prepraed or packaged food being offered as prasad in an religious institution.
- Club/Canteen – Canteen or Cafeteria is a dining area in an institution/ establishment serving food (being prepared in the premises or procured from other location or source) to individuals associated with or visisting the instiution.
- Caterer – Food Service Establishment involved in preperation and serving of food for consumption of a group of individuals working or visiting offices of railways.
- Hote; – Hotel is a commercial establishment providing lodging, meals, and other guest services. In general, to be called a hotel, an establishment must have a minimum of six letting bedrooms, at least three of which must have attached (ensuite) private bathroom facilities
- Mid-Day meal – Caterer – The Midday Meal Scheme is a school meal programme of the Government of India designed to better the nutritional standing of school-age children nationwide. The programme supplies free lunches on working days for children in primary and upper primary classes in government, government aided, local body, Education Guarantee Scheme, and alternate innovative education centres, Madarsa and Maqtabs supported under Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, and National Child Labour Project schools run by the ministry of labour. Caterer preparing and transporting food to institutions under Midday meal scheme.
- Mid-Day meal – Canteen – Canteen or Cafeteria is a dining area in an institution/ establishment serving food (being prepared in the premises or procured from other location or source) to individuals associated with or visisting the instiution.